Monday, December 30, 2013

Out to Sea Modern Chevron

I had a roommate from college come visit me in the fall for a football game reunion weekend.  The same weekend, I participated on my first Farmer's Market in downtown Knoxville.  It was probably a great weekend to be there, with the home football game and perfect weather.

Anyway, she decided she wanted a quilt for her soon to be niece.  I love custom quilts and putting together new ideas for people.  So, we started with crabs and lobsters but decided on Sarah Jane's out to sea line.  I'm so glad she fell in love with that fabric bc I love it too.  While looking around for inspiration on what pattern, quilt market was happening and I spied a quilt from sassafrass lane, called wiley way.  It's a really great, quick pattern.  It only comes in one size and I wanted to do a big baby quilt so I shank it down a little using percentages... I had to trim up the ends a little but everything matched up beautifully!






I tried a new (to me) thin pink polyester thread from superior threads.  It worked great and looked really pretty.  



I attempted a paisley shape from Angela Walters book.  I thought it turned out SO perfect!  I will use this quilting design again!  I did practice drawing it a couple days in a row before I sat down to quilt. 





I bound it with a navy polka dot from Joann's.  They picked out the backing fabric but I added a crab and lobster... The baby's parents have an inside joke about which is better, Maryland crab or Maine lobster.

It made it safely to its new home and they love it!




1 comment: