Sunday, January 5, 2014

Notes from my Economy Block Quilt

I made my son, what I was calling, a 'Square in a Square' quilt for his second birthday in September.  I bought some great Kokka prints from FreshModernFabrics on etsy.  Now, seeing everyone's gorgeous 'economy blocks', I thought I'd share my experience making 8.5" unfinished blocks. 
 
  I didn't do paper piecing.  I started by cutting lots of squares in the following measurements:

48- 4 3/8" squares for the centers
96- 3 3/4" squares for the middle square (2 of each 48 prints)
96- 5" squares for the outer square (2 of each 48 prints)




I did cut extra of the outer layers so I could pick and choose and change things as I wanted.  I used the fabric values to create my blocks: dark center, light middle, dark outside OR light, dark, light.  But then it was getting super busy.  So I added solid white to try and slow things down.
 
I made my blocks like Rita @ RedPepperQuilts but used different measurements, and trimmed to a larger size.  My blocks finished at 8.5" with very little trimming necessary.  I was able to use a 1/4" seam throughout.











The only thing that bothers me about this quilt is the backing.  I don't like it.  But I LOVE my quilting on this one.  You can't really see it but it makes the coolest secondary pattern.  It finished at 45x60 after washing.  Good luck everyone working on these great economy blocks!  I love seeing them.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to stop and say how much I love this! I'm about to jump on the economy block wagon too.

    ReplyDelete