I enlisted help from my whole family. I thought it would be better if we could say that we all worked on it. I started brainstorming colors and wanted it to be masculine. And found this one from my color combo board on pinterest. And started pulling fabrics. It was actually really nice to have a stash built so that I could pull fabrics and not have to purchase any... or so I tried.
I ended up with a few other Denyse Schmidt prints and some gold, amber and cinnamon Cotton Couture solids (my favorite!!)
Then, my friend Emily reminded me about a pattern for a crown of thorns quilt that was in Quilty mar/april 2013. Cause I had my heart set on crown of thorns.
We cut everything one night and the next day finished a quilt top! Mostly just the women of the family helped but my brother enjoyed picking out color combos for the blocks, he even added the backwards one with the dark fabrics on the opposite side of the light ones.
(Don't tell my brother and sister I posted these photos! In her pjs and he didn't want it ever to be known that he was playing with fabrics.)