Monday, September 28, 2015

My Whimsical, Vertebrae Quilt

I love following Nancy Purvis, owensolivia's work on Instagram.  When she announced she wanted ppl to make projects from her book, I was really excited!  She asked me to make the Vertebrae quilt.  (I love her version!  She makes solids so exciting!)

I started with a fabric pull, and I'm really enjoying Lizzy House right now, so the choice was obvious.  

I also love adding in solids to help highlight the colors in the prints or to make a more distinct color palette.  PS these butterflies are so perfect... And I don't usually like butterflies. 

I wanted to make my version scrappy, with very few repeats.  I used up some of my favorite Lizzy House prints/scraps.  I had just enough of those favorites to make it happen.  I had to use the design wall to make the placement and piecing easier.  



Little by little it came together pretty quickly.  I loved putting the strips together --the colors just popped!  


The quilting, well, I tried to do two designs (I also used two color threads) and wish I would have just stuck with one quilting design and one color thread.  I'm definitely not comfortable mixing up FMQ designs, and the dark gray thread bugs me.  But every quilt I learn something.  So, I'll take this as a lesson, and remember for the next one.  Maybe another note for myself, SLOW DOWN!

I'll see if I can figure out how to get my final photos on here!  I went to my best friend's inlaws and took pictures in their gardens, with a camera, not my phone!  (their 'Southern Living' gardens)




Oh and see that scrappy binding!!?  Crazy heart eyes about the scrappy binding.  

I can't wait to get my hands on. Copy of the book, Quilting From Every Angle!  I have loved what I've seen so far.  Congrats and thanks, Nancy!

2 comments:

  1. That's a really interesting design. I see the vertebrae -- it also reminds me of a view through window blinds. Love the vibrancy of your color and fabric choices. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I also thought they looked like weed-eater blades.

      Delete